Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fun In The Food Court

JANUSFILES2 . . . ENTRY#0006 . . . OPEN:


I guess this was about two weeks ago. I was in Jefferson Mall, and I made a swing past the food court. I really wasn't hungry for anything at any of the restaurants, but I did linger for a minute or two at Max Orient.

Now, Max Orient serves what I have heard referred to as "food court Chinese." In other words, more or less generic stir-fries served with your choice of rice or noodles. The authenticity can probably be called into question, but it usually makes a pretty good lunch. And at least here in Louisville, most restaurants of this sort have developed a dish with a little bit of local flavor -- bourbon chicken.

In any case, what caught my attention this time was the jar near the register. It was full of fortune cookies, and a label on the jar said that they were three for 50 cents. I might not have been interested in getting anything else to eat, but a few fortune cookies were a different matter. I could crack them open later, and of course I would have material for a new entry.

When I got home, though, I promptly forgot about the fortune cookies for over a week. That changed earlier this morning. Curiosity finally got the better of me, and I wondered what words of wisdom these fortune cookies might hold. The fortunes were as follows:

"Be yourself, and you will always be in fashion."
"That special someone loves to see the light in your eyes."
"You are inclined to come up with unconventional solutions."

I'll have to remember to do this again. For that matter, I will also have to check some of the other Chinese restaurants in Louisville, and see if they do something similar.

JANUSFILES2 . . . ENTRY#0006 . . . CLOSE

No comments: