Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Not The Oops I Was Dreading

JANUSFILES2 . . . ENTRY #0107 . . . OPEN:


Yesterday, I stopped by Lemongrass Cafe on my way to work to get lunch. I went with the Shrimp With Garlic Sauce lunch special. I was in the mood for something that I had eaten before.

It was only as I was getting to work that I suddenly said to myself, "Oh, crap." Shrimp With Garlic Sauce is one of several items on the menu that is flagged as being hot and spicy. They will alter the spice level to fit your preferences, but I had negelected to say anything in that regard when I placed my order. My first thought was that the default that Lemongrass Cafe used would be the highest level of spicy; something with more Scoville Units than I really wanted.

On the way to work, some of the garlic sauce had spilled onto the egg roll. When I took my first bite from the egg roll, I was pleasantly surprised. I did not immediately start belching fire, as I was thinking I might. Apparently, the default is the mild end of the scale.

After breathing a sigh of relief, I ate the rest of my lunch without any sense of dread. And of course, there was the fortune cookie at the end of the meal. The fortune read as follows:

"A family reunion in the coming months will be a tremendous success!"

This would have been better suited for my parents' wedding anniversary back in August, now that I think about it.

JANUSFILES2 . . . ENTRY #0107 . . . CLOSE

No comments: